We are proud to announce our partnership with the International Association for Child Safety (IAFCS). The IAFCS is a worldwide network of professionals, foundations and manufacturers who work together to help parents make their homes safer for children. We resonate strongly with their reputable educational programs and support their mission to help families prevent home injuries.
We believe that you will benefit tremendously by participating in the HSAT. A membership in the IAFCS will enhance your knowledge and professionalism and insure that you are up-to-date with current best practices in home safety for the advice and guidance that you offer to families.
About the Home Safety Awareness Test (HSAT)
The Home Safety Awareness Test is a benchmark examination on home safety for professionals such as doulas, lactation consultants, nurses, doctors and baby planners. The HSAT is based on a comprehensive curriculum that incorporates home risks and best practice solutions. Topics include General Home Safety; Burn, Fire & Electrical Safety; Choking, Suffocation, Strangulation & Entrapment Safety; Drowning & Water Related Safety; Safety from Falls; Poison Safety; and Safety from Tip-overs.
Learn about hazards and best practices for helping families with bath time or setting up a nursery including furniture safety, selecting window blinds, baby monitor risks, crib bumpers and much more. An important goal of the IAFCS is that all members follow the safest practices in working with families and educating them about home safety.
It is the nature of young children to explore the world around them, but their curiosity can lead to serious injury. The Home Safety Awareness Test curriculum is designed to help parents, and those who work closely with them, to be more aware of the most common, most overlooked and most dangerous hazards in a typical home. The average home is not designed, constructed or furnished with the safety needs of a child in mind. Sadly, many parents are unaware of the potential dangers in their home until an injury occurs. Be a great resource for safety education for your clients.
About IAFCS Associate Membership
- IABPP members and students receive discounts on IAFCS membership and testing.
- You will be listed on the IAFCS website under Associate Members.
- Associate Members may use the IAFCS Associate Member logo to indicate membership.
- Associate Members are required to pass the HSAT and are listed on the IAFCS website as having this important credential.
- Associate Members will receive safety updates including the IAFCS Membership Newsletter. In addition, you will receive a username and password to access the Members Only Info section of www.iafcs.org for educational resources.
- Associate Members are welcome to attend the IAFCS Annual Conference.
- If you offer childproofing services/products (home evaluations and/or installation), please contact the IAFCS to inquire about membership for childproofers. Childproofers are not eligible for Associate Membership but the IAFCS has other types of membership available.