IMI Professional Standards apply to all IMI students, graduates, members, faculty, and interns.
- Inspire, support, and educate a global network of maternity consultant professionals
- Provide unparalleled evidence-based educational opportunities to maternity and health professionals
- Provide an integrative approach with evidence- based content that is inclusive of all beliefs, cultures, lifestyles, and philosophies
- Provide career opportunities to people looking to support and empower preconceiving,, expectant and new parents
- Provide guidance and careers that are conducive to work-life balance
- Provide a community of colleagues to network with
Code of Ethics
The International Maternity Institute (IMI) code of ethics helps to maintain high professional standards of personal integrity, professional competence and practice for all IMI certified graduates, members and enrolled students.
Students, members and certified graduates who do not adhere to the IMI code of ethics may be suspended or have their certification and membership revoked.
As a representative of the International Maternity Institute, students, members and graduates agree to:
- Uphold coaching, eco-consulting, childbirth education, sleep consulting, nutrition consulting and baby planning industry professional standards.
- Uphold IMI’s standards of practice and boundaries to practice as defined for all our course offerings.
- Be objective and promote informed decision-making for all families they work with.
- Respect their clients in the way they discuss their needs and challenges.
- Protect the privacy of their clients by demonstrating confidentiality.
- Any pictures of clients should be posted ONLY with the express, written consent of the client.
- Be fair, respectful and courteous to fellow students, members, employees and faculty of the International Maternity Institute.
- Assume full responsibility and to be accountable for their individual judgments and actions.
- Assume full responsibility for their business decisions.
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner in all online communications that are accessible by other professionals and the public
- Act in accordance with the highest standards of professional integrity and to keep current with the maternity industry’s standards.
- Professional integrity includes avoidance of the following at all times:
- Profane, defamatory, offensive or violent language;
- Hateful or discriminatory comments regarding race, ethnicity, religion, gender, disability, sexual orientation or political beliefs;
- Comments that are abusive, hateful or intended to embarrass or defame any person or any organization, including “trolling”(posting deliberately disruptive statements meant to hijack comment threads or throw discussions off-track);
- Personal attacks or any comments meant to harass, threaten or abuse an individual;
- Attacks, bashing or unprofessional discussion of other groups;
- Sexual discrimination
- Illegal activity
- Abiding by private online forum guidelines
- Properly represent the IMI certification.
- To be eligible for an IMI certification, graduating student’s must:
- Sign and agree to the IMI Code of Ethics, Scope of Practice, Boundaries to Practice, Missionand Complaint Policy . We reserve the right to withhold certification to graduating students that do not meet the requirements set forth. We also reserve the right to withhold certification based on all contact with candidates for certification, including, but not limited to phone calls, e-mails, and certification materials.
- Failure to demonstrate an understanding of IMI’s professional standards may result in withholding certification.
- Attend at least 80% of classes, complete all homework assignments, pass an exam, and tuition must be paid in full.
- Pursue continuing education and renew their certification every two years.
- Agree not to use IMI materials to train other professionals without IMI’s consent.
- Agree to speak of IMI in a positive and respectful manner at all times. Any disagreements or concerns with IMI are to be discussed directly with IMI where IMI will work together with you to find an appropriate solution.
Standards of Practice
Certified Baby Planner ™
An IMI-IABPP certified baby planner is a maternity consultant that provides unbiased support, information, education and resources to preconceiving,new and expecting parents. By evaluating their clients specific needs and providing them with the appropriate information, education and resources, baby planners empower their clients to make the best decisions for their growing family.
Baby planners tailor their services to suit their clients specific needs, lifestyle and preferences and help them to determine the types of resources, services and products that will be essential for them to utilize on their journey towards parenthood and beyond.
Baby planners are also concerned with educating their clients. By introducing their clients to a variety of options on pre-conception, pregnancy, post-partum and parenting topics, baby planners empower their clients to make informed and educated decisions. Baby planners may introduce their clients to various options regarding birthing, feeding, sleeping, health, fitness, nutrition, eco-friendly living, safety, post-partum support, budgeting, baby gear and more.
Additionally certified baby planners serve as a matchmakers , coordinators, and specialists. As a matchmaker, a baby planner pairs their clients with the most suitable and reputable services and products based on their specific needs and lifestyle. As a coordinator, a baby planner may organize special events such as a baby shower, baby moon, or maternity retreat or may arrange for photo shoots and birth announcement design. As a specialist, a baby planner can offer additional expertise if licensed or accredited in a particular field relating to maternity.
Boundaries to Practice
A certified baby planner does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients. Unless a baby planner has additional training or a specialized certification or license in a specific area of practice, a certified baby planner does not prescribe or attempt to perform additional services that require advanced training. While some certified baby planners may have the additional training, certification or licensing needed to offer services like designing exercise programs and plans, recommending diets or nutritional programs, baby proofing, installing or inspecting car seats, providing therapy, giving pre- or postnatal massage or providing personal training, doula or midwifery services, these practices are outside of a certified baby planners scope of practice.
Position on Expertise
The IMI and IABPP does not believe that baby planners should try to be experts at everything. Instead, the Academy encourages members and students to take the time to pursue the proper training, credentials and licensing in specialty areas they have a specific interest in. Additionally, baby planners who wish to specialize in a specific area should gain experience and education in that area and should carry the proper liability or professional insurance required for each specialty service they offer.
Baby planners may pursue advanced education, training and certification in specialty areas such as baby product and gear consulting, child and passenger safety, baby proofing and greenproofing.
The Academy recognizes that specializing in each of these areas involves extensive training, education, and experience. For this reason, level one certified baby planners are not expected or required to choose or develop a specialty. While the primary role of a baby planner is serve as a maternity consultant, as baby planners gain training, education and experience or utilize their previous professional backgrounds, they may choose to offer additional specialty services. Baby planners who do not have specialized training, educational backgrounds or certifications are encouraged to build relationships with professionals who offer specialty services and refer their clients to them as needed.
Greenproofer/Eco-Maternity Consultant ™:
IMI certified Greenproofer/ Eco-Maternity consultant™ professionals use an individualized and unbiased approach, assess, motivate, educate and prepare clients for non-toxic living. They provide the guidance to help clients achieve their personal green goals and respond appropriately in emergency situations. Recognizing their own area of expertise, eco-maternity consultants refer clients to other qualified professionals when appropriate.
Boundaries to Practice
Maternity Stress Management Coach™
The IMI Maternity Stress Management Coach ™ prepares and informs expecting parents, new parents, about ways to handle life changing situations via specific maternity stress management techniques, strategies, and maintenance. These techniques are provided only after a careful assessment of their personal lifestyle situation.
Boundaries to Practice
A Maternity Stress Management Coach™ does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients. Unless a Maternity Stress Management Coach holds an additional license or certification, they do not perform services outside of their scope of practice.
A Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant™
A Maternity and Child Sleep Consultant works with families during all stages to develop healthy sleep habits that are age and developmentally appropriate. This may include working with an expectant mom during pregnancy, both parents or single parents during postpartum, and with babies and children. Additionally a maternity and child sleep consultant provides support, information, education and resources based on each individual family’s sleep needs, lifestyle, and culture. Sleep Training is NOT recommended until a child is at least four-six months of age and considered a risk before four months of age. Before deciding on sleep training, IMI Maternity and Child Sleep Consultants must ensure that they rule out medical, behavioral, environmental, trauma, abuse, etc….that may need to be addressed and referred out to first.
Boundaries to Practice
A Maternity & Child Sleep Consultant does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients and additionally does not replace the advice of the family’s pediatrician or therapist.
A Maternity Coach™
Maternity coaches work with pre-conceiving, expecting, and new parents who want to:
- Play an active role in the decision making process and not feel helpless.
- Increase their self-awareness in preparation for their journey toward parenthood
- Take responsibility for the type of birth experience they will have.
- Want their experience to be unique, empowering and powerful in its own right.
Maternity Coaches also support families through the various challenges and different stages of parenthood and help them find strategies and solutions that are right for them.
Additionally Maternity Coaches (tm) work with employers to support women to successfully make the transition through maternity and return to work. Women who have a maternity coach during their transition through pregnancy into motherhood are more likely to return to work with confidence, tranquility, and clarity.
Boundaries to Practice
A Maternity Coach does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients and additionally does not replace the advice of the family’s pediatrician.
Unless a maternity coach has additional training or a specialized certification or license in a specific area of practice, a certified maternity coach does not prescribe or attempt to perform additional services that require advanced training.
Holistic Childbirth Educator™
The holistic childbirth educator provides preconceiving, expectant parents and new families with unbiased education, information, and resources in preparation for birth and postpartum care so that families can make informed decisions. This includes information on birthing options, health, safety and support.
Boundaries to Practice
A holistic childbirth educator does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients and additionally does not replace the advice of the family’s pediatrician.
Unless a holistic childbirth educator has additional training or a specialized certification or license in a specific area of practice, a certified maternity coach does not prescribe or attempt to perform additional services that require advanced training.
A Maternity Nutrition Coach™
A maternity nutrition coach works with preconceiving, expecting and postpartum families during all stages to develop healthy nutrition habits providing support, information, education and resources based on each individual nutritional needs, lifestyle, and culture.
Boundaries to Practice
A maternity nutrition coach does not diagnose, treat, examine or medically advise their clients and additionally does not replace the advice of the family’s pediatrician.
Unless a maternity nutrition coach has additional training or a specialized certification or license in a specific area of practice, a certified maternity coach does not prescribe or attempt to perform additional services that require advanced training.
All complaints against IMI certified professionals,members, faculty and representatives must be submitted in writing to IMI as soon as possible and within six months of the occurrence. Complaints must be signed and notarized. Please include a detailed account of the complaint with the name of the person in question and everyone involved with the location, date and time.
The IMI professional involved with the complaint will be notified within one week and must not contact the party placing the complaint. Upon review and investigation of the complaint, IMI will apply unbiased and fair judgement to the best of their ability. Once a final judgement has been reached, it is final. IMI has the right to decide the consequences of the judgment. All IMI certified professionals must agree to the IMI complaint policy prior to entering into the certification process and agree to abide by the decisions of the IMI, with no right to sue for damages. This may include removal of certification, membership or warnings. Possible results may be removal of credentials and certification or warnings. We expect IMI professionals to demonstrate professional behavior and ethics according to our code of ethics, standards of practice, and complaint policy at all times.